Friday, August 18, 2023

Setting Limits on Trump and America's Slide toward Fascism

 Because I usually talk with people who share my low opinion of Donald Trump, I sometimes underestimate how high the opinion his followers have of the former president. So, I was surprised to hear a man on the street in NYC the other day say to his female companion, "He is the BEST THING that ever happened to this country, and now LOOK WHAT "THEY" ARE DOING TO HIM!" If and when Trump is convicted and sent to prison or given other punishment, there really could be an explosion of violence. But I think there is no way to avoid this. I learned a long time ago, working in mental health with schizophrenics and other disturbed people that it does no good to tolerate unacceptable behavior. We used to call it "limit-setting." If the legal authorities are unable or unwilling to set a limit on Trump, he may very well just go on to do more and more outrageous things and to encourage his followers to do the same. . I am praying for limits to be set. It is the only way America can even begin to get back to something like "normal."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...